Disasters are scary. However, the blow they can cause can help lessen not only the physical damage but the emotional damage that can be caused by a natural disaster. Here is what you need to have ready in an emergency kit, particularly for your home and family, straight from your Denver claim specialists.
The first step in building an emergency kit is to put your supplies in an easy to carry container - that is also big enough for all of your supplies. Not wanting to spend a lot of money? There are some easy hacks you can use:
- Do you have a cat? The 15lb plastic litter containers are perfect for a disaster kit. Just make sure you take some time to clean the container out (maybe with some hot water and vinegar).
- Go to the dollar store! The dollar store will be your savior when you are wanting to spend money on an emergency kit.
- Reuse old cardboard boxes. Did a holiday just get over and you have a lot of extra cardboard boxes? Reusing them might be the perfect key to saving money while developing an emergency kit.
Whew. Now that you have the container, it’s time to make the perfect basic supply kit. There are quite a few things you need to incorporate, including…
- Water - one gallon...per person...per day. Seems like a lot, but it is certainly worth it.
- Food - three day supply...per person of non-perishable food. Think canned food, and be ready to check on the expiration dates to make sure you rotate them.
- First aid kit - We personally recommend that you overdo the first aid kits. You never know how much, or what first aid kits will be best.
- Survival supplies - This category includes flash lights, whistles, maps for the local area, cell phone batteries, and even tools such as pliers and wrenches. For a full list, check this out.
- Cleanliness - Moist towelettes, dust masks, and cleaning cloths are essential for an emergency kit. You’ll never know why you’ll need it!
Now that you have the perfect disaster kit, you need to make sure you have the perfect home insurance policy to accommodate your disaster kit - we are here to help with that. At Aspen Claims, we’ve helped thousands of clients get what’s rightfully deserved in the event of natural disaster, property damage, and personal injury. That’s why residents and professionals from Aspen, Denver, Littleton, Aurora and across the United States rely on our expert staff and highly professional claims adjustment service. To get started, just give us a call at 888-819-5904, we are happy to help and would love for you to experience the Aspen difference.