Frequently Asked Questions

What classes do I need to take to become an Insurance Adjuster?

First, you will need to pass an accredited licensing course to obtain an Insurance Adjuster License. Second, you should take a Fundamentals of Adjusting class to learn the basics of scoping and writing estimates. Third, you will need Xactimate training in order to have the skills to write a professional claim with the necessary software. 

What does an insurance adjuster do?

As an Insurance Adjuster you will be meeting with policy holders to scope, document and photograph the damages to their property. You will also be responsible for writing an estimate for repair, preparation of a detailed report, and many times determination of coverage is necessary by having an understanding of the insurance policy.

Will I be able to work for other Companies if I take training courses through you?

Absolutely, as a graduate from our ProEd™ courses you will be added to our adjuster roster. We also recommend that you send your resume to other adjusting firms as well.

How much money can an Insurance Adjuster make?

A good Independent Insurance Adjuster can easily make $4,000 to $10,000+ a month. This all depends on what path you take in your adjusting career. Most Independent Adjusters are paid on a sliding scale based on the amount of the insurance claim, while others may receive a flat fee per claim.  

Staff Adjusters (work directly for Insurance Companies) are paid salaries usually starting around $35,000. They usually are provided with a vehicle, computer and basic scoping tools for the job. 

Do I need a college degree to be an Insurance Adjuster?

In most cases an Independent Adjuster does not need to have a college degree in order to work for Independent firms. Most Insurance Companies require Staff Adjusters (works directly for the insurance company on salary) to have a college degree.

Does being an Insurance Adjuster require a lot of traveling?

This all depends on what type of claims you decide you would like to handle. Most adjusters get their start by working a catastrophe "CAT" (hurricane, tornado outbreak, flood, etc.). This will require that you travel to the storm site and stay in the area while handling those claims. This can be very lucrative as you can handle a large volume of claims in a relatively short period of time. Good experienced adjusters have been known to make $50,000+ in a couple months.

There are also daily claims; these are your normal everyday claims. Many adjusters choose to handle daily claims within a specified region around their home. Daily claim adjusters make a median salary of $50,000 and have the benefit of staying home.

Can I work for multiple companies at the same time?

Most Independent Firms understand that you may need to work for multiple firms in order to have enough steady business to make a good living while running Daily Claims. 

When it comes to a "CAT" situation most companies will not allow you to work for multiple firms while deployed to a CAT. During a CAT you should have enough work from one company that it is not needed to work for others. 

Can I and another person work as a team?

Yes, you can do this! Many couples or friends do this all the time. In a CAT situation this can be beneficial as you can have one person writing files while the other is out scoping. Usually, it is a good rule of thumb that both would be licensed adjusters. In most cases the one that is doing the scoping is the one that must have a license.

If I get my Texas license, does that mean I can work in any state that reciprocates with Texas?

In some instances a state's insurance commissioner or Governor will declare a state of emergency and allow licensed adjusters from other states to work a CAT. This mostly has to do with demand and not reciprocity. Under normal conditions, if a state requires an adjuster license, one must obtain a license in that state to work there.

What is the benefit of taking an in classroom course as opposed to a cheaper internet course?

Internet courses do not provide the same real world applications that an experienced instructor can provide in a classroom setting. Internet courses require 40 hours in front of the computer to prep you for taking the online exam. Usually, internet courses are much harder to pass than classroom courses due to the lack of interaction. This material can be very dry and boring, whereas the classroom environment can make it interesting. 

What kind of equipment do I need to work as an adjuster?

As an Independent adjuster you should have a reliable vehicle able to carry some sort of ladder long enough to access most roofs. You should also have a tape measure, shingle gauge, pitch gauge, small flat bar, micrometer, moisture meter, sidewalk chalk, digital camera, good working computer, tool belt/tool vest, clipboard, smart phone, shoes good for climbing roofs such as cougar paws, utility knife, hammer, laser measurer, and a printer/scanner combo.

I have friend that is an adjuster and is willingly to let me ride along. Should I do this?

Of course you should! Never pass up an opportunity to ride along. Keep in mind that most independent firms do things differently and each adjuster has their own style. Always read your firms guidelines before scoping a loss.

Some companies say I can't join their roster unless I take their license/training classes, is this true?

Unfortunately, there are some companies out there that make these statements. Aspen Claims Service is not one of those companies. We allow everyone to apply for a spot on our roster.

Can I work Catastrophe and Daily claims or do I need to stick with one or the other?

You can work whatever types of claims you desire. Some people like to travel to CAT sites a few times a year, while others enjoy staying at home and working in their home area. Others handle both. It is up to you to decide what path you would like to take.

How do I get work after completing your course?

After you have completed the course and obtained your license(s) you need to send your resume' to as many firms as you can and join their rosters. If they do not have your information then they can't call you when you are needed.

Will I be working for Insurance Companies as an adjuster?

An Independent Adjuster works for an Independent Adjusting Firm that has contracts with insurance companies to handle their claims. In this case you are representing the Insurance Company. Staff Adjusters are salaried employees that work directly for the Insurance Companies.

Is there any other cost involved in getting my Texas license after taking this course?

Fees are $50 per license type. (Texas Insurance Code (TIC) §4003.007) Make check or money order payable to the Texas Department of Insurance. All license fees are nonrefundable and nontransferable. Fingerprints–All resident and nonresident insurance adjuster license applicants must file with this application an electronic fingerprint receipt or a receipt from IdentoGo by Morpho Trust USA confirming an original fingerprint card and completed FAST Fingerprint Card Scan Authorization Form with a $41.45 check or money order payable to Morpho Trust USA was sent to Morpho Trust USA. If fingerprints were previously submitted to TDI for another application and the applicant continues to hold an active license, then a fingerprint receipt is not required. You may also have a fee to obtain a license in the state you live in.

*Fees and requirements may change and are determined by TXDOI.

I do not live in Texas, why would I want a Texas License?

The Texas Adjusters license is considered the “Grand Daddy” of adjuster licenses. The Texas License reciprocates with all but 5 states that require an adjuster license. Having the Texas License makes it easier to obtain other state licenses for CAT deployment purposes.

Is this class going to teach me everything I need to know?

We designed our classes to teach you the correct way to handle both Catastrophe and daily claims. Once you have finished the Complete Adjuster Training Course you will have the knowledge and skill set necessary to successfully handle a complete claim. You will continue to learn while working in the field as well. Good adjusters are always learning!

What is the job outlook for adjusters?

Adjusters are always in need all over the United States and Canada. This career field is not well known as most in it keep it to themselves about how lucrative it can be. There are older adjusters retiring all the time and no one there to fill their shoes.

Is Insurance Adjusting recession proof?

Yes.  Mother nature does not take a break during a recession. Insurance claims are simply a fact of life and they are always occurring.

What makes a good Insurance Adjuster?

A good Insurance Adjuster will have the willingness to learn all the time. This industry changes frequently and good Adjusters must keep up with the changes.

This can be a fast paced industry and everything has times lines. Good Adjusters will be able to manage their time wisely making use of tools and tricks of the trade to perform at a high level day in and day out. A good Adjuster consistently turns in their claims before deadlines and usually does not have to be asked to get their claims turned in.

Solid computer skills are must to be efficient. A good Adjuster will have a solid knowledge base of construction materials and different types of construction. One of the most important things a good Adjuster must have is a good attitude and be able to work with people to solve problems or issues with claims.

How many hours/days does an Independent Adjuster work?

It really depends on your current work volume and how well you can manage your time. You are free to set your own hours, but you must be committed to complete your claim assignments in a timely manner.

Will I need a computer for Xactimate Training?

Yes, you will need your own computer for Xactimate training. Please ensure your computer meets the minimum requirements for Xactimate installation.

Why should I choose Aspen Claims Service for my Adjuster Training Classes?

Aspen Claims Service is an adjusting firm that handles claims of all magnitudes day in day out. In addition to text book lessons, we are able to teach from our real world adjusting experiences that a book simply can’t offer.

Our instructor has years of experience as both a CAT, Daily claims adjuster and a Claims Manger. He has worked with many different insurance carriers and uses real world experiences rather than a canned Power Point Presentation.

He is also a Level 3 Xactimate Certified user (Highest level). He will teach tips and tricks to make you a more proficient user of Xactimate.